What's Your Secret

I'm the klutzy one.

My mother sent me to ballet classes starting at age four because she said I couldn't walk across an empty room without tripping over something.

After many years of ballet, tap, point, jazz, and other lessons, I shudder at how klutzy I'd have been otherwise.

I've been told my arm, hand, and head movements are graceful. I smile and say, "Thank you."

These are people who don't know me.

They haven't seen me get my arm stuck reaching for something. Drop a forkful of spaghetti down my blouse and into my lap. Catch my skirt in a door and take a step. Trip over a curb, bang my knee on the sidewalk, and bump my head on a plate glass window. Or any number of other such moments.

Embarrassing? Hardly. I'd be embarrassed all the time.

Sometimes these things are of my own making, like the examples above. Sometimes they simply happen to me. NOTE: Mini Writing Lesson on Active and Passive!

Like the time the sunglasses holder fell off the visor and hit me on the head. Or the chip bag exploded when I opened it and chips flew everywhere.

I'm a klutz magnet.

What's your secret?

Comments

Elspeth Futcher said…
My secret? I don't know how much of a real secret it is to those who know me, but I am the world's best procrastinator. Seriously, I should have a crown. I am able to meet deadlines and pay bills on time, but tasks that have no timetable? Don't time me on watch, time me on a calendar.

Elspeth
Laura Eno said…
Your chip bag exploding reminds me of my son, only his nemesis is liquid.

I'm still laughing about the forkful of spaghetti. Great visual!
Carol Kilgore said…
I procrastinate on things I really don't want to do. On others I'm pretty good. Today I accomplished one task I've been putting off. Many others await. Sigh.
Carol Kilgore said…
Your son and I could probably have a great conversation, Laura.
It seems we have a lot in common because this post describes me, too!
Carol Kilgore said…
Jane, always nice to meet someone who's been there.

.